Friday, April 29, 2011

The Dance

I've got a lot of older stuff to dump on here, but I wanted to have a post explaining a term I'll be using a lot, "the Dance". If you're reading this, you probably know I have Asperger's syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism, which, among other things, hinders my ability to communicate with people. Heather, one of the first times we spoke at length, you asked how I reconciled that with wanting to pursue a career in journalism, a field that necessarily involves getting out and talking to people. Well, it can be pretty hard, needless to say. I really don't want to sound whiny, but it's a hell of a thing, running into the fray while this disorder I have is trying to pull me away from people, and I have to balance that unstoppable force and immovable object. "The Dance" is what I call the attempt to do both. I think I'm getting a little better- for a recent assignment, I had to do man-on-the-street interviews at Virginia Union University and I feel like I did way better than I have on that kind of thing in the past- but it's not going to be something I'm ever perfect at. Just wanted to let everyone know what the term meant, since I'll be using it a lot and discussing its effects a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment